The First House
On September 1, 1970, eight GLF members moved into a 3 story rowhouse at 1620 S St NW, which quickly became known as the GLF House or Collective. This first collective lasted until 1974. As leader of the Ways and Means glonk, David Aiken had made arrangements to get the house in a neighborhood of antiwar and counter-culture collectives. Reportedly, the house had previously been occupied by the antiwar Berrigan brothers.
The GLF House became an organizing center for gay and lesbian activists where plans were laid for zaps at Catholic University, the Georgetown Grill, the Plus One, and other sites around the city. One memorable zap occured at Catholic University during a discussion of homosexuality. Among organizations emerging from the GLF House was the Breadbox collective of homeless gay youth who published their own newlsetter, Breadbox.
The members of the first collective included:
- Mike Yarr
- Jose Ramos
- Joan Carmody
- Bill Taylor
- Michael Ferri
- Bruce Pennington
- David Aiken
The Group Expands
In 1971, a group of GLFers left the 1620 S St. house and set up a neighboring collective at 1614 S St. NW. The second collective was known as the Skyline Collective (named for a meeting on Skyline drive in Virginia at which the group decided to start a separate house). It was also called the Skyline Faggots (advertised by a banner hung over the front door). Skyline Collective lasted until 1976, though it moved in 1974 to 1733 Q St NW. Both this and the first collective at 1620 represented Gay Liberation Front thought, but favored differing tactics. Like many collectives of the period, the group devoted time to consciousness raising raps, self-criticism, and ideological and tactical discussions.
After the split into two houses, Will Balk, Tim Corbett, Kent Jarratt, David Duty, Michael Ferri, Theodore Kirkland, Jim Lawrence, and Tim Tomasi moved into the Skyline Faggots Collective and became the core members of that gay collective. Both collectives frequently served as "crash pads" for people needing a place to live who were residents but not members of the collective.